Click on the buttons below for more information
Moving Insurance vs Carrier Insurance
- If you are using Transit Systems for your shipment, please refer to your Terms and Conditions to identify which insurance, if any, you currently have.
- Moving Insurance LLC is a division of Relocation Insurance and is available for most white glove and economy shipments.
- Carrier Insurance is available for white glove shipments that cannot be insured with Moving Insurance (i.e. Grandfather Clocks and Pianos) or may require blanket coverage.
How to Determine the Value of my Item.
- The most effective way to determine the value of your item is to locate the item's original invoice or a recent appraisal.
- Alternatively, an online search for similar items on websites like Amazon or Ebay may help establish an appropriate value.
Why Additional Insurance Is Important
- The likelihood of damage or disappearance is extremely rare (less than 3% of shipments) but can occur.
- All carriers, not just Transit Systems, are required to provide a bare minimum of limited liability coverage. Economy shipments are mandated at 10 cents per pound. White Glove shipments are mandated at 60 cents per pound.
- If you have not considered purchasing additional insurance, please be aware that a 500 lb. Economy shipment would have a maximum claim payout of $50.00.
The Claims Process
- In the unlikely event that your shipment arrives damaged:
- The party at the delivery location must accept delivery.
- All damages must be documented on the delivery receipt.
- Damages must be reported to Transit Systems immediately (required within 48 hours of delivery).
- Transit Systems will initiate the claims process and the customer on file will be contacted by the insurance company in 3-5 business days.
- Customers must be prepared to provide proof of damages, proof of value, and a repair estimate.
- Claims are subject to a $100 deductible.
- Any uninsured items are eligible for a limited liability claim only.
- Once all supporting documents are provided to the insurance company, claims will be processed and are typically finalized within 60 business days.
Why We Do Not Insure Televisions
- Flat screen televisions do not travel well in shipping environments and the likelihood of damage is too great for insurance companies to take the risk.
- If you decide to ship a flat screen television, you are doing so at your own risk.
- If the television is damaged or disappears there will be no monetary compensation for shipping charges or any type of valuation.
Moving Insurance Qualifications
- All items must be insured for their full value.
- Values must be assigned to each item you wish to insure, including itemizing all contents of an insured box.
- Customer packed boxes or items are subject to a limit of $750 per box/item.
- Customer packed shipments are subject to a limit of $2,500 per shipment.
- High Value items exceeding $750 must be packaged by an approved 3rd party professional.
- See Insurance Exclusions for a comprehensive list of items that cannot be insured.
Moving Insurance FAQs
- Moving Insurance LLC is a division of Relocation Insurance
- Moving Insurance has a standard rate of $4 for every $100 in value.
- Each shipment is subject to a $100 deductible.
- All items must be insured for their full value.
- Any changes must be made at least 24 hours prior to pick up.
Moving Insurance Exclusions
- Accounts, bills, currency, cash, evidence of debt, money, checks, money orders, c.o.d. payments, coins, stamp collections, sports memorabilia, securities, tickets, deeds, notes, gift cards, bullion, jewelry, watches, gem stones, furs, neon items, hazardous material, televisions, monitors, laptops, computers, computer chips/parts, cell phones, bulk products, perishable cargo, ceramic slabs, marble slabs, granite slabs, slate slabs, grandfather clocks, grandmother clocks, motorcycles, flowers, plants, seeds, firearms, newsprint, tobacco, windows, plate glass, stained glass and float glass.
- Damage to any furniture constructed of veneered chipboard, particle board, composite board, or similar. Any reduction in quality thereof arising as the result of dismantling or reassembling of any such items of furniture is also excluded.
The settlement based on Full Value Replacement insurance and Replacement insurance will be the lesser of repair costs, replacement value or as stated on the valued inventory. In the event that an item or its parts cannot be restored to its original condition through repair or replacement, subsequent loss of value is not covered beyond the repair or replacement cost of the item or its parts.
The Insurance Carrier reserves the right to replace the damaged or missing items with items of like kind and quality. If any item of a "set" is lost or damaged, payment is only made for proportionate value of the item damaged, not the entire set.
If the shipment delivers into a self-storage facility, specific written exceptions must be noted on the mover's documents for any claims to be considered. Any written exceptions for loss and/or damages must also be acknowledged by the signature of the driver in order for coverage to apply
The amount of insurance purchased must be not less than the Replacement Value of the property. If it is, the Insurance Carrier will not pay for the full value of any item lost or damaged. The Assured shall, to the extent of such deficit, bear his, her or their proportion of the loss. If a valued inventory has been submitted with the insurance document, the maximum liability shall not exceed the indicated amount. In no instance shall the Insurance Carrier's total liability exceed the insured value declared on this document.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
PERILS Touching the adventures and perils which the Insurance Carrier is contented to bear, and take upon itself, they are of the seas, fires, assailing thieves, jettisons, barratry of the Master and Mariners, and all other like perils, losses and misfortunes that have or shall come to the hurt, detriment or damage of the said goods and merchandise, or any part thereof, except as may be otherwise provided for herein or endorsed hereon.
DUTY OF ASSURED It is the duty of the Assured and their Agents, in all cases, to take such measures as may be reasonable for the purpose of averting or minimizing a loss and to ensure that all rights against carriers, bailees or other third parties are properly preserved and exercised. IMMEDIATELY notify, in writing, the air or ocean carrier and the delivering carrier advising them that damage has occurred to your shipment. A copy must be included with your claim form.
SUBROGATION CLAUSEAfter the payment of a claim under this insurance document, the Insurance Carrier shall be subrogated to the extent of their payment to all the Assured's rights of recovery against any person or organization.
SALVAGE If the Insurance Carrier replaces, makes a total loss payment, or pays the insured amount as shown on the valued inventory for a damaged article, they, at their option, have the right to salvage the damaged article. The Insurance Carrier also reserves the right to inspect and to verify the claimed damages on any item.
CLAIMS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING TO MOVINGINSURANCE.COM, WITHIN 48 HOURS OF DELIVERY: All claim payments, minus any applicable deductible, will be made in U.S. Dollars.
THE INSURANCE CARRIER reserves the right to inspect and verify all reported damages and to require substantiation of any claims amounts, value of items claimed or proof of ownership. Coverage is for transit damage or loss only (while in possession of the contracted carrier) and does not include any repairs or coverage of any pre-existing wear or damage to a piece.
DEDUCTIBLE:All loss or damage arising during the certificate period shall be adjusted in accordance with the valuations and limitation provisions of this certificate and will then be considered the "adjusted claim". From the adjusted claim or the applicable limit of this certificate, whichever is less, the sum stated under the applicable deductible amount shown in Declarations shall be deducted. Insurer shall have no obligations under this form until the claim exceeds the deductible.
(a) Loss or damage arising out of the acts of any government, customs authority, or official confiscation. Consequential losses due to delay or any depreciation in value are not covered
(b) Maximum recovery on damaged or lost owner-packed items, cartons, or containers is limited to $500 per item, carton, or container with a maximum per claim payment of $2,500. Claims will not be honored for shortage of any owner-packed items, cartons, or containers unless that shortage has been noted at the time of delivery and reported to the Insurance Carrier within 48 hours of delivery. In the event of a Total Loss of the entire shipment, loss of any owner packed items, cartons, or containers will be covered for loss up to the face value of the certificate and the shipment's declared value.
(c) Loss or damage to jewelry, watches, gem stones, cash, currency or bank notes, deeds, firearms, travelers checks, coin or stamp collections, sports memorabilia,; ceramic, marble, granite or slate slabs, , motorcycles, alcoholic beverages, negotiable items, furs or garments trimmed with fur, ammunition, contraband, cigarettes, laptop or tablet computers, mobile or cellular telephones.
(d) Loss or damage caused by wear and tear, deterioration, changes in climatic conditions, mold and mildew, infestations, pre-existing damages, inherent vice, or discovery of loss or damage after final delivery made that is deemed to have occurred while the shipment was NOT in transit, and therefore is not covered.
(e) Any internal electrical or mechanical component of any device unless exceptions are noted at the time of delivery for external damage to such property. Loss of data and recalibration are also excluded.
(f) Wrinkled or soiled clothing, linens, drapes, or rugs.
(g) Marring, scratching, denting, chipping, or rubbing on items which have been received by the carrier as Condition Unknown.
(h) Items not listed on the movers' inventory prepared at origin. Items not shipped are not insured
(i) Appraisal fees, estimate or inspection fees, shipping or transportation charges, sales tax, damages caused during assembly or disassembly of items that require third party service, items having no commercial value, items of sentimental value or property damage.
(j) Loss caused by nuclear reaction, radiation, or radioactive contamination, whether controlled or uncontrolled, however caused.
(k) Physical loss or damage to the property carried out for political, terrorist, or ideological purposes when property is in storage.
(l) Real Estate property damage and/or any service related issues, including but not limited to mover and customer agreements, shipment delays, etc.
(m) Damage to any furniture constructed of veneered chipboard, particle board, composite board, or similar. Any reduction in quality thereof arising as the result of dismantling or reassembling of any such items of furniture is also excluded.
(n) Any damages caused as a result of these being in the shipment: hazardous materials, items that are flammable, corrosive or explosive; perishables: food, plants or living things that may die or spoil in transit.
(o) Contributory negligence on the part of the owner and/or their agents. Damages or loss attributed to an act, order, or omission on the part of the shipper.
MISREPRESENTATION AND FRAUD This document shall be void if the Assured has concealed or misrepresented any material fact or circumstance concerning this Insurance or the subject thereof. Any person who includes any false or misleading information on an application for an insurance certificate is subject to criminal and civil penalties. Notwithstanding any requirement, term, or condition of any contract or other document with the respect to which this document is issued, the insurance afforded by the certificate listed on this document is subject to all the terms of such certificate. In the event that you file a damage claim, you must file first with MovingInsurance.com. You cannot receive compensation for damages from the insurance carrier and the moving company. It is illegal to collect twice on the same item(s).
EXAMINATION UNDER OATH Before recovering for any loss you will, if requested: (a) permit us to inspect the damaged property before it is disposed of or repaired; (b) send us a sworn statement of loss containing the information we request to settle your claim. You must do this within 60 days of our request; (c) agree to examinations under an oath at our request; (d) produce others for examination under an oath at our request; (e) provide us with all pertinent records and reports needed to prove the loss; (f) cooperate with us in the investigation or settlement of the loss.
AGENCY It is understood and agreed that any person authorized by the named assured or shipper to order this insurance is acting as the agent of the Assured and is aware of the certificate terms and conditions. In any case, a customer signed certificate and terms and conditions must be received by Moving Insurance, LLC two days prior to packing or moving date.
A. Claims will not be honored for the loss of any owner-packed items, cartons, or containers unless the shortage has been noted at the time of delivery and reported to the Insurance Carrier within 48 hours of delivery. Any DAMAGE to contents of owner packed items, cartons or containers will only be covered ifEXTERNAL damage to the packed item, carton or container is noted at the time of delivery and reported to the Insurance Carrier within 48 hours. In the event of a Total Loss of the entire shipment, loss of any owner packed items, cartons, or containers will be covered for loss up to the face value of the certificate and the shipment's declared value.
B. Maximum recovery for damage or shortage on owner-packed items, cartons, or containers is limited to $500 per item, carton, or container and maximum of $2,500 per shipment. In the event of a Total Loss of the entire shipment, loss of any owner packed items, cartons, or containers will be covered for loss up to the face value of the certificate and the shipment's declared value.
C. Loss or damage to automobiles while being driven under their own motor power except while on the premises and while being loaded and unloaded into and off the carrier. Marring, denting, chipping, or scratching on automobiles over five years old. Non-factory installed accessories or removable items on automobiles. Goods of a personal nature shipped inside an automobile are also excluded.
D. An entire set if any single item(s) is lost or damaged. Payment will only be made for the proportionate value of the item(s) lost or damaged. All non-furniture items (lamps, including floor or pole lamps, mirrors, removable table tops, table leaves, etc.) must be boxed and labeled prior to the carrier's arrival. Bed rails and slats must be bundled securely prior to the carrier's arrival.
(aa) Loss or damage to any item unless the premium for the insurance has been received by Moving Insurance, LLC.
(ab) Non-delivery of a shipping package if the delivery receipt shows that all packages were delivered to the final destination
(ac) Loss or damage to any items, unless loss or damage is noted on the Bill of Lading, Inventory or Delivery Receipt signed by all parties; with the exception of concealed damage to items packed into boxes, cartons, or containers; this must be reported within 48 hours of delivery.
(ad) Delicate and fragile items, including, but not limited to: lamps, glass tables/tops, marble tables/tops, slates, taxidermy, paintings, framed pictures, statues, chandeliers, display cases, when not packed and/or crated in wooden or other professional moving boxes and containers will not be covered. With regards to LTL (Less Than Truck Load) shipments, Items weighing more than 200 lbs must be skidded and all items with a value of $2,000 or more must be cushioned inside a fully enclosed plywood crate and packed and unpacked by a certified third party service or approved moving & storage company.
(ae) Mattresses and box springs are specifically excluded from coverage unless packed in mattress cartons specifically designed for this purpose. Shrink-wrap alone does not constitute proper protection.
(af) The inventory as prepared by the Assured and/or the shipping/transportation company, must be noted and signed by all parties at loading and unloading for current conditions of the insured items.
(ag) All insured goods must be in the care, custody and control of and handled by a Moving Insurance, LLC approved licensed, insured and professional Freight carrier, auto carrier, Moving and Storage Company or a Moving Insurance, LLC approved professional labor service at all stages of the move in order for those goods to be insured. Non-compliance will cause the insurance certificate to become null and void.
(ah) Insurance must be purchased prior to shipping and/or pick up by the carrier.
(ai) This certificate cannot be cancelled or modified once the pickup has occurred. Notes added to Certificate Summary by the assured can not alter or change coverage in any way.
(aj) In case of shipment being loaded and/or unloaded into a truck or a container by any person other than a Moving Insurance-authorized loading and unloading affiliate, this certificate will become null and void.
(ak) Change of carrier must be notified to Moving Insurance, LLC in writing, at least 48 business hours prior to shipping date, as noted on the certificate. The new assigned carrier must be a qualified carrier with our network, or the certificate will become null and void.
(al) No items or goods can be added to or deleted from the certificate after items have been loaded on the truck(s).
(am) In case of any other coverage to the shipment, including but not limited to homeowners insurance, rental insurance, moving company's insurance, manufacturer's warranty and added services warranty this certificate will act as a secondary certificate and will pick up only after the first certificate was exhausted while using the original coverage as a deductible, to the extent of the original certificate's coverage.
(an) In case of the original shipping company subcontracting this move to another shipping company, the Assured must notify Moving Insurance, LLC and confirm that both companies are authorized by Moving Insurance, LLC.
(ao) In case of a claim, proof of value is required on all items. Acceptable proof of value is either a purchase receipt or a certified appraisal.
Failure to follow these terms and conditions will render this certificate a "Null and Void" certificate or result in automatic cancellation, as decided by Moving Insurance, LLC. Moving Insurance, LLC reserves the right to cancel any certificate without notice; in this event, a full refund will be made.
In case this certificate is purchased by the insured's agent or representative, these terms and conditions must be reviewed, signed by the insured, and faxed over to Moving Insurance, LLC, or this certificate will become null and void immediately upon discovery.
Any statements or Agreements made by the mover in contradiction to any of the Terms and Conditions contained in this document will not be recognized or endorsed during the Claim settlement process. The Terms and Conditions in this document preclude any verbal or written agreements between the mover and insured where such agreements violate or conflict with the Terms and Conditions contained in this document.
No suit, action, or proceeding for the recovery of any claim under this certificate shall be sustainable in any court of law or equity unless the same be commenced within twelve (12) months next after delivery, provided, however, that by the laws of the state within which this certificate is issued such limitation is invalid, then any such claim shall be void unless such actions, suit or proceedings be commenced within the shortest limit of time permitted by the laws of such state. Any and all legal suits, actions or proceedings must be filed in the state of New Jersey, United States.
Qualifying for $500 of free coverage!
- In order to take advantage of this offer, you must discuss purchasing insurance with your sales rep and identify which item(s) you would like to insure.
- The first $500 of insurance is not automatically associated to any orders and will not be honored until additional insurance is discussed.
Carrier Insurance Qualifications
- White glove orders not qualified for Moving Insurance may still qualify for insurance through our carrier.
- Carrier Insurance provides the option to Blanket Insure your entire shipment or insure individual items.
- Customer packed boxes or items are excluded from carrier insurance.
Preparing For Transit
- Always use new, sturdy boxes. Check the bursting strength on the box to make sure that you do not exceed the weight limit for that box.
- Always fill boxes to the very top. You should have to apply pressure to the top of the box in order to tape it shut. Failing to do this will result in the box bursting at the seams when items are stacked on top of it.
- Genuine packing tape is the only tape that should be used when sealing boxes.
- Fragile items must be individually wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a box with loose fill to eliminate any voids. Once the box is taped shut, place it inside a second box that is at least 2 inches larger (e.g. place a 16x16x16 box inside an 18x18x18 box). Put loose fill on the bottom of the larger box before inserting the smaller box. Fill the larger box with loose fill to eliminate voids.
- Click here for additional packing tips.
Charges stated on your invoice are estimated and the final charges will be based on your shipment’s item count and actual weight. All shipments are subject to additional fees, including but not limited to: adding additional items, reweigh, packaging, crating, stairs, and storage fees. Shipments will not be delivered until all outstanding charges and fees are collected.
Late pickups or deliveries will not result in a refund. Transit times are never guaranteed.
Damaged shipments will not result in a refund. Insured items are eligible for an insurance claim.
Cancelled shipments are subject to a processing fee and customers will be refunded within 10-15 business days:
- A $50 fee for invoices up to $500M
- A 10% fee, $100 minimum, for invoices above $500